In a groundbreaking move that is set to redefine the realm of photography, Sony has introduced the world’s first full-frame global shutter mirrorless camera, the a9 III. This innovation marks a significant leap from traditional rolling shutter technology that has been prevalent in photography for decades.
The adoption of a global shutter promises a seismic shift in performance. By facilitating an almost instantaneous and simultaneous readout of all 24.6 megapixels, the a9 III effectively eliminates undesirable skew and other artifacts associated with rolling shutters. Moreover, it outshines mechanical shutter technology in every aspect, rendering the physical shutter superfluous in this remarkable camera.
A global shutter’s advantages are manifold, most notably in ensuring consistent and uniform exposure across the entire frame under all lighting conditions. The a9 III empowers photographers to achieve flash synchronization at any shutter speed, including the maximum speed of 1/80,000 second. This breakthrough also curtails issues like banding caused by specific light sources, such as fluorescent lighting, offering photographers seamless performance whether they are shooting in a gym, outdoor environment, or mixed artificial lighting scenarios.
Never Miss a Moment: New Features Unlocking the Camera’s Full Potential
The a9 III doesn’t stop at the global shutter; it’s equipped with a host of new features to optimize the camera’s performance:
- Pre-Capture: This feature enables the camera to start buffering images when the shutter button is half-pressed. Users can customize the pre-capture duration, ranging from 0.05 to 1.0 seconds. When the shutter is pressed fully, these buffered images are seamlessly saved to the memory card.
- Speed Boost: Not every photography situation demands the a9 III’s incredible maximum speed of 120 frames per second (fps). With the Speed Boost feature, easily accessible through the C5 button, users can instantly switch between different continuous shooting frame rates, with options up to 120 fps, ensuring they capture each moment perfectly.
Pro-Quality 4K Video Enhancements
The a9 III goes beyond impressive still photography; it raises the bar for video capabilities:
- The camera captures the entire 6K image area, downsampled to produce high-quality UHD 4K video at up to 60 fps.
- It offers the possibility to record 4K at up to 120 fps without any cropping.
- Internally record 10-bit 4:2:2 using the All-I encoding for maximum video quality.
- Utilize the full-size HDMI port for 16-bit raw output to a compatible external recorder.
- Choose from a range of Picture Profiles, including S-Log3 and S-Cinetone, to optimize your video output for your specific workflow and production environment.
Ergonomic Body Design Enhancements
Sony has refined the body design to enhance the operational experience:
- Introduction of the C5 custom button on the front of the camera body.
- The continuous shooting mode dial can now be disabled, and shooting speed can be conveniently adjusted in the menu.
- An improved grip and a slightly repositioned shutter button offer a more ergonomic feel.
- Enjoy the flexibility of dual CFexpress Type A/SD card slots, allowing for versatile media use.
- A faster USB-C port, supporting USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds up to 10 Gb/s.
- The camera features a 3.2-inch 2.1 million-dot 4-axis multi-angle touchscreen LCD, first seen on the a7R V, offering an expanded color gamut that covers the DCI-P3 space.
- A 9.44 million-dot 0.90x OLED electronic viewfinder with a maximum refresh rate of 240 fps, providing a premium viewing experience at up to 120 fps.
- An Ethernet port for advanced networking and data transfer workflows.
- Complement the camera with the optional VG-C5EM Vertical Grip, aligning with the a9 III’s updated ergonomics, including the new C5 button.
Promising Future Firmware Updates
Sony has plans for future firmware updates that will further enhance the a9 III’s performance:
- The ability to shoot continuously at up to 120 fps when using the maximum shutter speed of 1/80,000 second.
- Workflow improvements for IPTC metadata and FTP functions.
- Integration of C2PA technology from the Content Authenticity Initiative.
As the world’s first full-frame global shutter mirrorless camera, the a9 III is set to redefine the boundaries of photography and videography. The marriage of cutting-edge technology with user-friendly features positions this camera as a game-changer for photographers and videographers alike, offering limitless creative possibilities.
Editor’s Note: Sony’s a9 III represents a milestone in photography, raising the bar for global shutters, video capabilities, and camera design. With the promise of future firmware updates, Sony’s dedication to innovation ensures this camera remains