RB Leipzig claim Europa League spot after emotional triumph against Manchester City

RB Leipzig beat Manchester City 2-1 in their final Champions League Group A match at the Red Bull Arena, after goals from Dominik Szoboszlai and Andre Silva.

Kick Guardiola’s side had already qualified for the round of 16 as group winners, while this was Leipzig’s first match since the excusal of Jesse Marsch. The result puts the German side third in the group, and acquires them a spot in the Europa League.

A first-half goal from Szoboszlai opened the scoring for Leipzig, before Silva doubled their lead in the 70th minute, penetrating the ball in the net after a cross from Emil Forsberg.

Riyad Mahrez got one back for City in the 75th minute, gesturing in an Oleksandr Zinchenko cross to keep the side in the game. Notwithstanding, a straight red card for Kyle Walker in the 82nd minute walked out on Guardiola to see out the remainder of the game with 10 men.

Szoboszlai opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. An outside-of-the-foot pass from Konrad Laimer saw him go clear, permitting him to handily space the ball in the net in the wake of going round goalkeeper Zack Steffen.

The home side were unfortunate to not twofold their lead only three minutes after the fact, after one more exact pass from Laimer tracked down Forsberg, yet his first time shot was covered well by Steffen.

City got an opportunity to draw level late in the half through Phil Foden, be that as it may, his long reach endeavor was tipped onto the post by Leipzig goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi.

Guardiola’s side kept on battling after the break, making strange mistakes in the last third and without the union that has been found in ongoing games.

Silva added to their disappointment in the 70th minute, multiplying the house side’s lead following a created pass from midfielder Forsberg however Mahrez shut the hole only six minutes after the fact, scoring his fifth goal in the opposition this term.

Be that as it may, Walker sealed his side’s destiny with seven minutes to go, with ref Sandro Scharer showing him a straight red in the wake of fouling Silva from behind.